Thursday, January 5, 2012

Commissions: Baalbek (Reaper Mini)



After a bit of a break for life and the holidays, I'm back, and with an all new commission piece to show off! I don't have progress photos for this one (I promise I'll have those next time), but here are some shots of what I've worked on over the last two weeks. Enjoy!

 
 As per my client's request, I gave him glowing white/blue eyes. After painting the skin, slowly painted on thin layers of dark blue, slowly shading up to lighter blue, with white in the center. I also gave a slight gloss coat to them, just to help it shine that much more.

 My client wanted earthy tones for the clothing, with touches of green and red. Now, I didn't want him to end up looking like a Christmas tree (even though this was around Christmas), so I gave him some subtle blood stains on his knee and the ends of his chain (the photo makes it look more pronounced than it is. It's actually very thinned down paint and has a "stained" look on his pants).
 




 For his beard, I actually used some Rust Orange weathering powder from Secret Weapon Miniatures mixed with some water to get the color above. I like how it turned out.


As I haven't had much practice with skin tones, and no practice with dark skin tones, this project was a little daunting at first. In the end, I just took it a step at a time, employed some techniques I haven't tried before (mostly thinning my paints and slowly adding layers to blend), and the result was a very happy client! If you have any questions or comments about this project, go ahead and leave a comment. If you'd like to inquire about commissioning me for a project of your own, go ahead and email me at Deep Strike Painting. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment